Wednesday, March 31, 2004

If you’re in New York, be sure to tune in to radio station 1190 AM today at noon for the premiere of “The O’Franken Factor!” This is the debut of Air America, the liberal talk-radio network. I have my walkman with me so I am all ready to tune in! Word has it that Al Franken’s first guest will be Michael Moore so it will certainly be entertaining. And if you don’t live in a market that carries the station, it can also be heard on XM Satellite Radio.

Today is the five-year anniversary of my very first interview with the Parks Dept. It was March 31, 1999 and the weather was fantastic. I was a senior at Vassar and woke up early that morning to take a Metro North train into the city. I first had a 10:00 A.M. interview with Primedia, the publishing company that produces several magazine lines. In retrospect it was a good thing I didn’t wind up working for them, because shortly after graduating, Primedia wound up laying off many of their employees. After finishing up with Primedia, I grabbed a quick lunch somewhere (can’t remember where) and then took the F-train into Park Slope for a Parks Dept. interview. The job I interviewed for at that time though was very different from the one I accepted two months later. The division I initially interested with did not interest me as much and I left the building that day figuring that I would not return. Funny how things work! Afterwards I traveled back up to Poughkeepsie where I had a senior class council meeting that night. It was also one of the Passover seder nights but considering everything else I had on my plate, I skipped out on the holiday that year.

I did not wake up at 5 A.M. today to watch the baseball game. Instead I got up at 6:30 and listened to it on the radio as I lied in bed. The Yankees got even from yesterday’s loss, beating the Devil Rays 12-1. The good news for me is that my guy, Carl Crawford, got a hit, a run and a stolen base. That should move me up the fantasy standings.

After work tonight I’m seeing “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.” It got great reviews and I’m looking forward to it.