Tuesday, March 09, 2004

The latest celebrity who died is Paul Winfield. Winfield was a celebrated actor with a long career but the role that I most distinctly remember was in “Star Trek II : The Wrath of Khan.” Winfield’s character joined Chekhov in their visit to City Alpha V. After being captured by Khan and his cronies, they had those disgusting looking beetle larvae inserted into their ears. The larvae were first extracted from this huge insect that Khan kept in an aquarium tank. They were then put inside Winfield and Chekhov's space helmets so they could crawl along their faces and into their ears. That scene made such an impression on me when I was a kid. My friends and I would act it out, mimicking Winfield and Chekhov’s horrified expressions as the larvae attacked them. Ah, great moments in film history.