Tuesday, March 16, 2004

There was an old “Peanuts” cartoon where Lucy bemoans, “Another holiday season has come and gone and as usual I didn’t get what I really wanted." Charlie Brown asks her, “What’s that?” Lucy’s reply : “Real estate!”

That about sums up how I feel. I’ve become addicted to this program on HGTV called “House Hunters”. It follows people as they search for new homes or condos. More and more as I watch the program I think, “Hey, I want one!” But here’s the dilemma. I love New York City and want to stay here. On the other hand, real estate values are in the range of ridiculous. Right now I have a basement studio apt. in Sheepshead Bay, Bklyn and it currently suits my needs. But for how long? Do I need to wait until I’m in a serious relationship with someone before I’m in a position to buy or at least pay one of those higher rents? A single guy who works in the public sector just doesn’t have too many viable options. Not that I’m complaining about where I am now but I guess it’s just human nature to always want more.