Wednesday, April 14, 2004

More fun excerpts from Bush’s press conference last night :

* A reporter asked, “In the last campaign, you were asked a question about the biggest mistake you'd made in your life and you used to like to joke that it was trading Sammy Sosa. You've looked back before 9/11 for what mistakes might have been made. After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be?” To which, Bush then looked like a deer caught in headlights as he stuttered “Hmmm. I wish you'd have given me this written question ahead of time so I could plan for it... You know, I just — I'm sure something will pop into my head here in the midst of this press conference with all the pressure of trying to come up with an answer, but it hadn't yet... You know, I hope I don't want to sound like I've made no mistakes. I'm confident I have. I just haven't — you just put me under the spot here and maybe I'm not quick, as quick on my feet as I should be in coming up with one.” They then cut to a shot of Karl Rove, Condi Rice and Andrew Card who looked mortified. Had they not prepared him for such an expected question? Or had they prepared him and Bush had forgotten what he was supposed to say?

* When asked who we will be transferring sovereignty to in Iraq on June 30, Bush responded “We’ll get back to you on that.”

* I loved when a reporter asked him “Will (Iraq) have been worth it, even if you lose your job because of it?” and then when another reporter asked “If you feel in any way that you’ve failed as a communicator?”

Now we know why Bush does not have too many press conferences.

In other news, congratulations to Barry Bonds for hitting his 661st home run last night and surpassing Willie Mays for 3rd on the all-time home run list.

If anyone is interested in the 19th century plagues that wrecked havoc in Europe, read Sarah's blog. Her recent bout with bronchitis has inspired a litany of commentary on the subjects of consumption, tuberculosis, ague, and many more!

And if anyone is interested in commentaries on today’s dating scene, check out the webpage of The Anonymous Blogger. Be sure to visit the always happening comments section.