Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Saw “Fiddler on the Roof” last night at the Minskoff Theater. Very good show in a comfortable theater. Rarely do I see a show on Broadway that I am SO familiar with, inside and out. I was literally mouthing the words to myself as they sang them. Alfred Molina played Tevye and, although he was good, I don’t think he measured up to Topol’s performance in the movie. It seemed that Molina was trying his best not to mimic Topol and to make the character his own, but I kept thinking after each number that Topol did a better job. Oh well, he spoiled me. The actor who played the tailor Motel Kamzoil was fantastic though with impeccable comic timing. He was appropriately nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Tony. The dream sequence was very well staged with lots of cool special effects including actors descending from the rafters. The actresses who played Tevye’s daughters all did a good job. I never fail to tear up during “Far From the Home I Love.” And there was a new musical number in the second act that was not included in the original production or the movie. It is called “Topsy Turvy” and has Yente and a couple of the other women lamenting the changes. The final change came at the end of the show. Instead of the fiddler being the last one to walk off the stage, he passed the fiddle off to a young boy and they walked off together, symbolizing that as they move to a new world, the traditions are being passed on to the next generation.

Got an e-mail from AAVC last night saying that more members of the Class of 99 have registered for reunion than any other 5-Year class in their history! Should be an amazing turnout. However, due to those numbers, our class will be housed in Davison and not Main as originally planned. I am very familiar with Davison though as I spent a lot of time there during my freshman year. Only two days to go!