Thursday, June 24, 2004

With one week to go until the Iraqi transfer of sovereignty, all hell has broken loose. This morning alone, there were a wave of coordinated attacks that have resulted in at least 83 people dead and 233 wounded. Threats have been made on the life of the new Iraqi Prime Minister. All in all I’d say that things are going badly. Not exactly the rosy scenario promised by Cheney and Rumsfeld before the war. As a matter of fact, Democratic Senator Joseph Biden had a recent meeting with Bush and Cheney. When asked what he would do about resignations following the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, Biden replied, “Look, Mr. President, would I keep Rumsfeld? Absolutely not.” Then he turned to Cheney and said “Mr. Vice President. I wouldn’t keep you either.” He went on to tell Bush that Cheney and Rumsfeld were “dead wrong on every major piece of advice they’ve given you.” What was the reaction from Bush and Cheney? According to Biden, “They said nothing. Just sat like big old bullfrogs on a log and looked at me.” Maybe they’re in a bad mood about something.

I’m a huge tennis fan. Every year I go to the U.S. Open and at this time of year, I always enjoy watching coverage of Wimbledon. Except this year, the rains have hit London pretty hard. This is the fourth day of the tournament and they are still playing 1st round matches. The big story of this Wimbledon has to be the comeback of Martina Navratilova. She’s 47 years old and the other day she beat a player half her age. Let’s see how she fares in her second round match. And speaking of tennis, a movie called “Wimbledon” is coming out this fall. It will star Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany. Should be good! (I hope!)

Last night I was talking with my new friend Caitlyn and we were discussing recent vacations that we’ve been on. It occurred to me that I haven’t had a vacation where I went somewhere that lasted more than 4 days in YEARS. Part of the problem is that I usually do not have a traveling companion so Caitlyn suggested that I use this blog as a forum to gauge if anyone else has the traveling itch. So here it is, as I really need to get out of this city!