Friday, July 16, 2004

The first order of business is to clarify something that I wrote in "1995". I mentioned that I helped to write the musical, Sing. This is true but "help" is a vague word. I was part of the committee that came up with the concepts, themes and settings of the show. The bulk of the writing was done by Danielle Weinstein and Rachel Levine and they deserve credit for it. Happy, Danielle? :)

And now the conclusion of my own "I Love the 90s"...

1998

1998 was the year of the Syndicate. What's that you say? The Syndicate was formed by me, Dave and Ben who had just returned from Beijing. This triumverate evolved into an oranized crime group, thugging and pimping our way across campus. But while all that fun was going on, there was some seriousness too as my father had a serious quadruple heart bypass operation near the beginning of the year. Fortunately all went well with it. I also made my film debut, performing in Dave's student film "Time." I had the lead role, of a college student diagnosed with leukemia. Dave got an A and my performance was acknowledged as a big part of it. I then made my electoral comback getting elected Secretary of the Class of '99. So what if I was running unopposed? Everyone else feared going up against me! In May I said goodbye to many of my Class of 98 friends who were graduating such as Bartow and Briar. Jon and I would have to carry the nVo mantle ourselves. The summer of 98 was relaxing. I spent some of it working on Weiner's congressional campaign. I also worked on two screenplays and visited Vassar in July where both Ben and Dave were staying there for the summer. In the fall, I headed back for my senior year. Ben, Dave and I were unable to get a TH or TA in the room draw so we settled for a suite in Main that was promptly renamed TH D-Funkt. We spent the year feuding with our neighbors, The Turkish Harem. One time those girls snuck into our living room and created a maze of yarn in it, ala "The Parent Trap". I also got to know my fellow class officers, Becky, Marivel and Jill. Together, we decided that our old class account e-mail password would be '3L1J', representing our ethnicities... three Latinas and one Jew. We interviewed for our class council and appointed a wide variety of personalities including Homeskool!  We planned the campus-wide Halloween party and it was awesome.  I dressed as Sting, the former WCW wrestler.  Also that year I took a swing dancing class with Kristin. And more intramural softball. 1998 was fun. 

1999

"And tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999." And I did. With most of my serious academic work out of the way, my final semester at Vassar did resemble a big party. The year began with a cocktail / housewarming party in my suite. Which was followed by many parties in the THs. And weeknights at the Mug (where I found out they served free sodas!) Then I served on the committee to find a commencement speaker and we wound up getting James Earl Jones. Awesome choice. I also had a political career to finish and I did that by serving as Chair of the Board of Elections. Jon was my assistant chair and we had a great time. I only had to disqualify one candidate and he brought me before the school's judicial board because of it! (P.S. I won the case.) Another of my jobs was picking who would do the annual commencement musical. After one Sarah Ackerman told me that she didn't have time to do it, I wound up with two proposals - "Pippin" and "The Fantasticks". I picked "Pippin" as I thought the themes were more fitting for a commencement. Then it was senior week with the booze cruise, the winery brunch, the Star Wars Episode 1 premiere, the lazer tag and other events I can't remember. Before I knew it graduation weekend arrived and so did the family. Saturday was a fantastic day culminating in the bonfire where I burned the books I hated most. But on Sunday it rained, putting a slight damper on the actual graduation ceremony. Then it was back to Brooklyn and the very next day I interviewed with the Parks Department. Got hired two days later. Started two weeks later. And a new era began. Blah blah blah. Work work work. The decade ended amid Y2K anxieties and a New Years Party at Jill's place.

Hope everyone enjoyed my look back at the 90s!