Saturday, July 10, 2004

So it's been a sobering week. The unexpected loss of a friend in the prime of her life caused reflection on appreciating each day and enjoying the small, seemingly insignificant moments that comprise "life." All too often I find myself worrying about the future at the expense of appreciating the present. Maybe this will help put things in better perspective.

Yesterday, we had a ribbon cutting for a new synthetic turf ballfield in Brooklyn. (a picture is included above this post) I was concerned about the prospect of a very hot day. Thursday was brutal and the heat would have been magnified on the turf surface. Fortunately, Friday cooled off a bit and it was a pleasurable day. (Wendy, I guess you were right after all about the cool front - although it's hot again today!)

Saw some good movies this past week. "In America" was a nice surprise, about an Irish family that moves to Hell's Kitchen NYC in the early 1980s, after the accidental death of their son. The girls who played the 10 and 6 year old daughters were adorable. Best line was when the 10 year old said to her father, "Don't call me 'little girl.' I've been carrying this family on my back for the past year." I also enjoyed "Cold Mountain" and "The Terminal". Both were a little slow and dragged in their middles but the stories and fine acting made up for it.

I was going to get a haircut today but my barber of 15 years is on vacation and I won't let anyone else do my hair. So it will have to wait until next Saturday.

Currently playing on my XM Satellite Radio - Milli Vanilli, "Blame it on the Rain"