Wednesday, August 18, 2004

My team, "Flames of the Week : The Olympic Torch & McGreevey", came in second last night at Trivia. Special thanks go out to A.K.A. Chris for delivering the Greek Mythology category and to new teammates Sy & Mehta for the 80s Music category. Our prize was a $15 discount on our bar tab and a baggie of M&Ms! Val and Eric came up with some challenging yet fun questions and they correctly awarded the best team name to "New Jersey doesn’t suck but its governor does." And Caren showed off the Spanish translation version of "Carrie Pilby", with a cover illustration of Carrie that looked remarkably similar to the author.

In between my visit to the Empire State Building (see previous blog post) and Trivia, I had some time to kill so I went to see "Garden State." Very well done. Zach Braff pulled off the trifecta of acting, directing and writing. A new Orson Welles / Woody Allen? In the film, he had amazing chemistry with Natalie Portman’s character. And yes, that was Bilbo Baggins playing his father.

On the way back home last night in Brooklyn, a couple of young girls sitting on their stoop whistled at me and made kissing sounds with their lips. From across the street I grinned at them and one of them shreiked "Oh my god. He smiled at me!!!" I’d never before felt like such a piece of meat. But I kinda liked it!

A big welcome to those of you who may be finding my blog through pressing the "Next" button on the top of Blogger. It’s a fun and convenient way to see who else is out there. Hey, it beats those "Pro Bush" advertisements that annoyingly used to be at the top of this page.

Paris Hilton lost her dog Tinkerbell, the chihuahua who was featured in "The Simple Life." A $5000 reward is being offered. That’s it, Paris? Unless you raise it, I’m keeping the dog.