Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Today’s posting is about animals saved and animals lost.

Yesterday I helped to save the lives of three infant kitties. They were found trapped in a hole near the side of my office building. One was meowing for help, another looked like he was done for as he wasn’t moving at all. No park rangers were around nor were the ASPCA able to make it in a timely enough fashion. So a few of us were successful in pulling the kitties out of the hole, using a broomstick and a dustpan. We put them in an open cardboard box and I found some milk in our refrigerator to give them. All three became revived after tasting the milk and starting hugging and rubbing each other to keep themselves warm. Some other people in my office were planning on adopting the cats. Not me though, I’m allergic.

While the kitties made it, I’m sad to say that Boomer, the beloved golden retriever of former Parks Commissioner Henry Stern, passed away on Friday. Boomer was put to sleep after suffering from bone cancer. I had many nice encounters with Boomer as Commissioner Stern often brought him to work, taking him to special events throughout the City. Boomer’s obituary in the New York Daily News can be read here.

U.S. Open results from Arthur Ashe Stadium : Marat Safin was upset in the 1st round by Thomas Enqvist, but Andy Roddick, Justine Henin and Lindsay Davenport all easily won their matches. Maria Sharapova also won her 1st round match, defeating Laura Granville in a close one.