Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Last night was fun. The birthday party for the congressman was held at the P.M. Lounge in the meatpacking district. I’m told that it is usually a very exclusive place with long ropelines and bouncers that only let VIPs or good-looking people enter. Not being into the club/lounge scene, I wouldn’t know. Still, it is a very nice place with a comfortable decor. The coat check girls and cocktail waitresses were dressed to the nines and the restroom attendant was a very polite man who was wondering what the party was all about. I explained the concept of a political fundraiser to him. The open bar was a highlight and I definitely took advantage of it... a gin and tonic, a rum and coke, a Corona, and a few sips of Merlot that I borrowed from the congressman’s press secretary. It was great seeing staff members that I used to work with and to meet some of his newer staff members. I also had a nice exchange with the congressman. We were joking around about our ages and I mentioned that I’m currently the age that he was when he was elected to the City Council. His response was, "But the difference between you and me is that you actually have marketable skills."

Upon arriving home, I figured that the Yankee game would be all over. Not by a long shot! I turned on the TV and found them tied 4-4 in the 10th inning. The game would go until the 14th inning where, once again, David Ortiz won it for Boston. No team has ever come back from an 0-3 deficit to win a best-of-seven series in baseball. Can the Red Sox be the first? Can they overcome their curse? They have to first get through tonight as the injured Curt Schilling takes the mound in Game 6. Over in the NL, the Astros have grabbed a 3-2 lead, as Jeff Kent hit the winning home run last night. But the Astros always win in their home ballpark. Can they win on the road though? They’ll need to win at least one out of two in St. Louis to advance to their first World Series.

I have chosen a Halloween costume. I am going as... (drumroll please)... Julius Caesar! I’ve been wanting to wear a toga for the longest time and now I finally have an excuse to do so. And I even have a bloody dagger that he was stabbed with!

Trivia tonight! Caren and Chris are hosting. Lets hope the rain lets up by this evening!