Monday, October 18, 2004

Willie, a 99-year old member of my family, passed away yesterday. He was my aunt’s uncle and had a remarkable ability to carry on an intelligent conversation on most any subject. I was fortunate to have seen him a week before his passing at a surprise party for my uncle. Although his body may have broken down at the age of 99, he maintained all of his mental faculties until the end. Godspeed Willie, you lived a great life!

What a ballgame last night. The Red Sox, on the verge of elimination, survived and pulled out an extra-inning win over the Yankees that ended at 1:30 in the morning. Now the Yankees lead the ALCS 3-1, and the NLCS is tied at two.

Tonight I am attending a birthday party for the congressman who I used to work for. He is turning 40. (A young one! He was already a city councilman at my age) So I’m all dressed up in a suit today for the occasion.

Absurd statements of the day...

"We are not in a health crisis." - Health Secretary Tommy Thompson on the shortage of flu shots.

A Bush defeat "could lead to the spread of terrorism to other parts of the world." – Russian President Vladimir Putin. What an irresponsible statement to make!