Monday, November 15, 2004

It was a fun and busy weekend, particularly Saturday. The day began with a visit to "Jazz at Lincoln Center" – the new facility in the Time Warner Center that overlooks Columbus Circle. The theater was packed for a discussion with former Defense Secretary Robert McNamara and my former Vassar history professor. It was a great opportunity to hear McNamara reflect on the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Vietnam War and today’s problems. He urges that we have empathy with our enemies – to make an effort to understand what their motives are. He says that we failed to do this with the North Vietnamese and are likewise not currently empathizing with the Arab mindset. He also spoke of the dangers of nuclear proliferation and how not enough is being done. A sobering and challenging discussion from the 88-year old former statesman. After that I went to see "The Incredibles." It was so entertaining! Fun, smart, exciting and it appeals to adults and children alike. Then it was off to a Vassar alumni party at Luahn’s, near Union Square. The floor was packed but my friends and I claimed some prize couches on the upper level where we held court. I had a great time and reacquainted with a few good friends who I hadn’t seen in years. (Even Bobert dropped by!) Some of us then went barhopping elsewhere in the vicinity. Sunday was then spent largely recuperating from Saturday.

Good episode of "The Simpsons" last night. The best part was when Bart found Homer’s old stash of "Playdude" magazines. He decides to transform his treehouse into the Playdude Mansion and throw Hugh Hefner-esque parties. The hot tub was occupied by James Caan and Mrs. Krabbapel and the following bit of dialogue ensued...

Caan : "Well Bart, Mrs. Krabbepel and I are going to go play backgammon...if you know what I mean."
Bart : "I sure don’t. But I hope you win!"
Krabbapel : "Oh, he’ll win."
Caan : "Some guys like a challenge. Not me."