Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I’m pleased to say that this morning’s commute was much smoother than yesterdays. The tracks have thawed and the F-train was running again. Service resumed at around 4:30 yesterday afternoon so I was able to get home normally.

The same can not be said for those who rely on the C-train. A fire at the Chambers Street station has eliminated the C’s service... for three to five years! That is just insane. Years ago, they built entire subway lines from scratch in less time. And what caused the fire that destroyed the service for an entire line? A homeless person. So if a homeless person could do that accidentally, what could a terrorist do with nefarious intentions? Hopefully this will serve as a wakeup call for Homeland Security. But the really big question is, with no C-train, how is one to get to the Museum of Natural History??? The B also goes there but not on weekends. I predict major reroutes in the near future.

Oscar nominations have been announced! I have already seen three of the five Best Picture nominees - "The Aviator", "Finding Neverland" and "Ray." The other two I hope to see within the month – "Million Dollar Baby" and "Sideways."

For those interested, I am organizing an Oscar Pool! Person with the most correct picks wins a prize. I’ve already e-mailed a bunch of people with the details but if you want to play and you didn’t get the e-mail, let me know!