Monday, January 10, 2005

Props to Daryl for coining the term ‘blahging’... blogging when you feel the ‘blahs’.

I rented "Open Water" on Netflix. This movie absolutely terrified me. I’m not easily scared and most "horror" films tend to bore me. Not this one. A couple is abandoned in the middle of the ocean by their scuba boat. As the tide drifts them further and further out, they are forced to fend for themselves against nature. It’s shot with a digital camera so it looks like a real documentary, not a motion picture. The camera also bobs up and down with the water so you feel like you’re submerged with the couple. And then there’s the threat of sharks circling around them – real sharks were used too, not models or CGI. The psychological torment of what would happen was too great to bear. A couple of times I had to pause the film just to catch my breath. And the ending was truly heartbreaking. See this movie at your own risk!

I also went to see "The Aviator" at Union Square. It’s a solid biographical piece of the remarkable life of the eccentric Howard Hughes. I’m not so sure that it’s the best film of the year but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it pick up the most Oscar nominations.

It was a big New York sports weekend as well. The Mets signed Carlos Beltran for 7 years at $119 million. I guess they can afford him since they won’t be paying Fat Mo Vaughn anymore. Will Beltran help turn the team around or will he be added to the list of failed free agent acquisitions? I’d like to say I’m optimistic but I’ve seen too much. And then there’s the Jets big win on Saturday night. They won it in overtime after very nearly blowing the game in the 4th Quarter. Next stop is the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday afternoon. The Jets will be heavy underdogs but stranger things have happened.

We’re having an unusually warm winter and it’s supposed to go up to 60 on Thursday. I’ll take it.