Monday, January 24, 2005

This morning I experienced the commute from hell. Allow me to explain. I arrived at the F train at Avenue U in Brooklyn only to learn that there was no north-bound service due to frozen track conditions. There was south-bound service though to Coney Island at which point we were recommended to take a Q or D into Manhattan. So I went to Coney, connected to a D, took it into lower Manhattan where I connected to another south-bound F with the intention of arriving at my 7th Avenue – Park Slope destination. Unfortunately the train terminated at Jay Street – Borough Hall and wasn’t going any further south due to the same frozen track conditions. Nice of them to tell us that! So I go outside, walk a few blocks to the 2 & 3 train station at Lawrence Street, take a south-bound 3 to Grand Army Plaza and then walk from Grand Army Plaza to my building in Prospect Park. Total time of commute? Three hours. Shame on the MTA for failing to inform commuters of the full extent of the track changes and shame on the media for failing to report them in their "morning traffic reports."

After the weekend’s snowstorm, the digout begins. Yesterday I spent two hours shoveling snow. It’s a good thing the snow was relatively soft at that point. To shovel the same about of snow now would be considerably more difficult due to its heaviness.

In between shoveling, I watched all of my Netflix movies. I enjoyed "Troy" and "Wimbledon" and did not care for "Anchorman." "Troy" was a fun sword and sandals epic. Although it was quite different from The Iliad, this version was still enjoyable. "Wimbledon" was a perfectly serviceable sports film. (Get it? Tennis...serviceable...oh forget it) Hollywood never makes movies about tennis so it was refreshing to see one for a change. "Anchorman" didn’t do it for me at all though. I found it uneven and unfunny. Memo to Will Ferrell : you are very talented but you need not try so hard.

And now to consider how the hell I’m going to get home today...