Friday, February 25, 2005

The Academy Awards are being held on Sunday. I’m holding a pool where the winner will get free movie gift certificates! The deadline for entering is Saturday at noon.

And now I will publicly offer my own picks as to who I think will win the golden statuettes on Sunday night. Last year I did pretty well (see the archives) except for Best Actor where I chose Bill Murray for "Lost in Translation" but Sean Penn won instead for "Mystic River." I highly doubt I will get Best Actor wrong again this year.

Phil’s Oscar Picks
Picture : "Million Dollar Baby"
Director : Clint Eastwood "Million Dollar Baby" (Sorry, Scorsese)
Actor : Jaime Foxx "Ray"
Actress : Hilary Swank "Million Dollar Baby"
Supporting Actor : Morgan Freeman "Million Dollar Baby"
Supporting Actress : Cate Blanchett "The Aviator"
Adapted Screenplay : "Sideways"
Original Screenplay : "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"
Animated Picture : "The Incredibles"
Original Song : Accidentally in Love "Shrek 2"
Original Score : "Finding Neverland"
Cinematography : "The Aviator"
Art Direction : "Finding Neverland"
Costumes : "The Aviator"
Editing : "Million Dollar Baby"
Makeup : "Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events"
Visual Effects : "Spider-Man 2"
Sound Effects : "The Incredibles"
Sound Mixing : "The Aviator"
Foreign Film : "The Sea Inside"
Documentary Feature : "Super Size Me"
Documentary Short : "Autism is a World"
Animated Short : "Gopher Broke"
Live Action Short : "Little Terrorist"