Thursday, March 10, 2005

And now for more information on my new apartment!

After looking at it on Monday and liking what I saw, I brought my parents by yesterday and they also loved it. It just went on the market, with the previous occupant moving out last week. They’re still in the process of repainting, polishing the floors, etc., and I wanted to claim it before anyone else would. So we went back to the realty office, I put a deposit down and met with the woman from the management company who just happened to be there. She assured me that I’d be approved which means that I can get a lease that would be effective on March 15... the Ides of March! My plan is then to spend a month getting the place ready by moving small things over and buying furniture, with a total move-in goal of mid-April.

The building itself is in Bay Ridge, on Ovington Avenue (the equivalent of 70th Street) between 4th Avenue and 5th Avenue. It is one street block away from the R-Train stop on Bay Ridge Avenue. It’s also steps away from major shopping hubs on 3rd Avenue and 5th Avenue, which both afford a nice view of the Verrazzano Bridge as you walk down them. The building is pre-war, rent-stabilized, with an elevator and laundry facilities in the basement. My apartment is on the 3rd floor and there are 6 floors in the building. It has a very large living room, a large bedroom, a kitchen with plenty of cabinet and counter space, a nice-size eating area, a decent size bathroom, and a foyer with multiple closets. I had to slightly increase my desired price range by $50 a month but considering what I’m getting, it’s very worth it.

I’m very excited about this. There’s so much to do but the big weight of actually finding something has been lifted from my shoulders. Plus, many of you may not realize this, but this will actually be my first "real" apartment. For the past six years, since graduating college, I’d been renting my parents basement. It was a good way to save money for a while but the time had come to make a fresh start and start moving on with life. Can’t wait.