Monday, March 07, 2005

Sorry for the lack of a post on Friday. There was no time as I had to be at the NY Aquarium bright and early for our annual Commissioner’s meeting. It went very well and my boss, as usual, prepared quite the spread for lunch. The meeting was held right next to the walrus tanks so at multiple times during the presentations, the walruses would come up to the glass and show off by blowing bubbles or tapping their fins against the glass. What hams! It made for a very pleasant distraction though.

Then I resumed my apartment hunting over the weekend. I looked at two places. Didn’t care for the first one as the kitchen was too small to hold a table and chairs. The second place I looked at was much nicer in that regard and I was pretty stoked about it. But then I asked my parents to come by and take a look at it and they noticed all of these flaws that I neglected to notice. So the next step is to see if these are flaws that the building will take care of or if I should keep looking. (I’ll do both) Part of the problem is that these buildings are very old and its previous occupants must have lived like pigs. Sigh.

Apartment hunting is stressful! Just as stressful as going on blind dates. Sarah came to the conclusion (and I heartily agree) that the two are very similar since the apartment (or date) is often very different in person than how they portray themselves on paper. For example, you SAY there’s a "eat-in kitchen" but where am I supposed to put a table? Likewise, you SAY you’re low maintenance but why are you fixated on going to the most expensive places? Both tasks require persistence!