Monday, March 14, 2005

Today I sign my lease. And write some very large checks.

I finally got around to seeing "Hotel Rwanda" over the weekend. Excellent film. I remember that in the spring of 1994, the Holocaust Remembrance Museum opened in Washington D.C. I went down there with a group from my high school on an all-day trip. It was incredibly moving and the message of "Never Again" resonated. Unfortunately, at that very same time, a horrible genocide was occuring in Rwanda. Not that most Americans knew much about it – our media was too busy feeding us stories on Tonya Harding and O.J. Simpson. The ethnic cleansing of Tutsis by Hutus was horrible and the film does a fine job in depicting the ordeals of Don Cheadle’s character – a hotel manager who (like Oskar Schindler) uses his hotel as a refuge for those escaping the slaughter while bribing and using his influence to save their lives. The saddest part was the refusal of the U.N. to intervene, as white foreign nationals were transported to safety while the Africans were left behind to meet their fate. I’d like to say "Never Again" but who are we kidding. Look what happened in Sudan earlier this year. The world has a long way to go before genocide and similar atrocities are eliminated.