Saturday, May 14, 2005

The sofa arrived! And it was the right one! In the right color! With a sleeper! And it fit through all the doors! Now I can relax and enjoy the ambiance that is my living room.

But it wouldn't be blogging unless I had SOMETHING to bitch about, right? So as the delivery guys were leaving, I paid them the balance of the money that was due for the sofa. They counted the money and one of the guys muttered under his breath about the lack of a tip. Um, excuse me - the fee included a $100 delivery charge. I'm usually a generous tipper and have tipped most of the workers who have come to my apartment to perform services. But THE FEE INCLUDED A $100 DELIVERY CHARGE. Now if there was no delivery charge or I asked you to do something extra for me, then yes I can understand wanting a tip. But to do the job that you're paid to do, while charging $100 for delivery, there seems to be less grounds to be bitching about a tip. I'm reminded of the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry David can't go anywhere or do anything in his hotel without being besieged by hotel employees expecting tips. And then there's the paper cups in the pizza parlors and Subway restaurants where tips are requested. Seriously if I gave a tip to anyone who ever performed a service for me, I'd be broke.

I also want to mention that I went to this amazing bar last night. It's called Barcade and it's in Williamsburg. They have every classic 80s arcade game under the sun! Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Frogger, Punch Out, Centipede, Q-Bert (well actually Q-Bert was broken). It was paradise. And while I was there I made sure to get lots of quarters for my laundry.