Friday, July 01, 2005

I took today off from work and went to the Museum of Modern Art. It was my first time there since its reopening in November. Actually, it was my first time there since 1991. I was a freshman in high school taking an Art History class. The AP of the department instructed all of the art teachers to give us an assignment where we had to go to MOMA and sketch various paintings. Mind you, this was a "history and appreciation" class and most of us in the class chose it because our artistic talents were generally confined to stick figures. The teacher agreed that it was a ridiculous assignment but she had to do what her boss said. So on one Columbus Day, the entire MOMA was filled with freshmen from Murrow H.S., feebly attempting to sketch the paintings. At least until a bunch of us just went down to the gift shop, bought a bunch of postcards and traced them. So there.

I hope everyone has a great 4th of July weekend!