Sunday, July 17, 2005

Last night, Tamara, Chris, Brad and I took Bellmore, Long Island by storm. The occasion was the Long Island Film Festival, where Tamara's student film "Something Old, Something British" was shown. Before I get to the films, I have to say that after a year of reading each others blogs, it was great to finally meet Tamara. We had a fun time before the movies, by imbibing at Bellmore's finest establishments. Now the only people on my blogroll who I've yet to meet are Jennie and Bex!

I thought Tamara's film was very well done. It briefly told the story of a maid-of-honor whose duties keep getting usurped by a British guy who seems to understand exactly what the bride and her bridal party need to keep from going insane. It had some funny and clever moments and the aesthetic look of the film seemed very professional. There were a few other films that were entertaining such as "18 Candles" - a funny spoof of "16 Candles", "Enjoy the Show" - a comedy from the perspective of teenage movie theater staffers, and "Disturbing Leonard" - a "Truman Show" knockoff with a sad ending. That's not to say that some of the other films weren't pure shit. But hey, that's a film festival for you and I made sure to reflect my opinions on my ballot card. The films began at 11:45 and ended at 2 A.M., at which time a dumpy woman from the Film Festival called all the filmmakers up on stage for a Q and A. Which could have been interesting if it WASN'T 2 IN THE MORNING! At that point we were tired and wanting to go home.

Thanks to Brad for driving and congrats to Tamara on the achievement!