Wednesday, August 31, 2005

American Express is running an ad campaign that is centered around Andy Roddick losing his mojo. They ask where Andy's mojo is and how can he get it back. How this will persuade anyone to sign up for an American Express card eludes me. But last night at the U.S. Open, Andy Roddick lost his first-round match and is now out of the tournament. I guess he really did lose his mojo and now the supposedly comedic ads look utterly ridiculous. Go Madison Avenue geniuses!

Trivia was fun last night. My visual round featured identifying ten celebrities celebrating birthdays yesterday. (Including the aforementioned Roddick who no doubt had a terrible birthday) I also did the current events round and one of my questions was "What two TV networks are televising the US Open tennis tournament?" The correct answer is USA and CBS. But one person, claiming to work at NBC, was adament that NBC is televising it. Um, no. I called a well informed source who consulted their TV listings and confirmed that is indeed CBS. Perhaps this NBC employee was confused because they televise the US Open GOLF tournament.

The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina is unspeakable. It was a challenge to come up with ten current events questions that weren't about this tragedy. My thoughts go out to all those affected.