Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I awoke this morning to witness on TV the good news of the space shuttle Discovery returning to Earth safely.

The same cannot be said of Monday morning when I was awoken to the news of Peter Jennings' passing. As soon as my radio alarm went off, it announced the news and tears welled up in my eyes. Jennings was one of a kind - a phenomenal reporter and anchorman. I distinctly remember his coverage of the first Gulf War. I didn't have cable and chose ABC as my round-the-clock outlet for news largely due to Jennings' style and skill. I also remember a Saturday morning special where he spoke with children about the war while standing on a large map of the Middle East. Then I remember Jennings' coverage of the millennium. I was at a party that night but, thinking that something newsworthy might happen (Y2K and all), I set my VCR to tape ABC from 9 pm to 3 am. I still have the tape as it shows Jennings progress through the night - from a suit - to a tuxedo at midnight - to a sweater at 2 am. He will be missed. With his passing, the retirement of Tom Brokaw and the forced retirement of Dan Rather, it's the end of an era.

Jennings' life was claimed by lung cancer - just like that of the other great newsman, Edward R. Murrow. Even though Jennings stopped smoking 20 years ago, it still got him. So to those who smoke, I'm begging you, please stop.