Thursday, August 25, 2005

I have this knack for remembering significant dates. So I certainly remember the significance of Thursday, August 25th. It was exactly this day, ten years ago, that I moved into Vassar College to begin my freshman year. On August 25, 1995, my parents and I arrived on campus bright and early. We stayed overnight at the Holiday Inn Express on Route 9, so we would be ready to begin the move-in process at 8 am. Lots of heavy duty labor was expected. Who knew that there would be a bunch of upperclassmen (known as Bandana people) waiting in the parking lot to help move us in? Who were these people grabbing my possessions? Thieves? No, just a helping hand. I remember the rest of the day very significantly. Meeting my student fellow, meeting my roommate, getting everything in order, saying goodbye to my folks.

And ten years later, on August 25, 2005, the new Class of 2009 is moving into Vassar today as well. Here's hoping that their busy day is a memorable one!