Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ah shit. It's over. Anthony Weiner is conceding the race to Freddy Ferrer. To quote Charlie Brown yet again... "Good grief."

But I still had a fun few days campaigning for the guy. To see him rise in the polls from dead last to a close second was a thrill. On Monday I attended a campaign rally in Carroll Gardens. Then yesterday I helped his staff distribute flyers at the Park Slope subway stop. After that I stopped by Tuesday Night Trivia at the Baggott Inn where I did some more campaigning. And then after that it was off to the Primary Night Party at Table XII. Thanks to some of my friends from trivia for coming along. The party was a nervewracking affair as everyone's eyes were glued to the big screens showing the tallies on New York 1. I spoke with Anthony's parents and some of his staff members and I was even interviewed by the New York Sun for being Anthony's first intern! It didn't make today's paper but I am indebted to Britta (my new publicist) for setting up the interview. And according to Daryl, who was watching the ABC news, I was seen on camera! So that was exciting. Although Anthony gave a speech indicating that his campaign would proceed, I could tell from his body language that the odds did not look good.

So here we are, the next morning and he is conceding defeat. My guess is that he felt the odds were against him and that rather than fight an uncertain battle, he was motivated to promote Democratic unity, with the realization that it would put him in a better position for any future campaigns. Whatever his reasons were, he has nothing to be ashamed of. When this campaign started, Anthony had almost zero name recognition. Today, much of the electorate knows who he is and with 29% of the vote, many have a positive impression of him.

One last thought - I would have enjoyed listening to Christopher X. Brodeur give a concession speech last night.