Friday, September 30, 2005

These past few days, I've mentioned the returns of "Lost" and "The Amazing Race." Today I want to highlight a few new shows that I highly recommend.

"Everybody Hates Chris" (UPN - Thursdays at 8) : Chris Rock is the man. This show is hilarious. Hilarious! The coming of age of a young boy in Bed-Stuy, circa 1982. So good.

"Reunion" (FOX - Thursdays at 9) : Twenty years after their high school graduation, a friend is murdered at their reunion. Each episode in this flashback series is a year in the lives of the friends. It's certainly the most unique concept of the year.

"How I Met Your Mother" (CBS - Mondays at 8:30) : Neil Patrick Harris is back on TV. Doogie Howser has grown up. But besides him, it's a sweet and hilarious sitcom. I usually have a steadfast rule that I refuse to watch any show with a laugh track but I make an exception for this one.

"Extras" (HBO - Sundays at 10:30) : Ricky Gervais from "The Office" is back, this time as an extra in the movies whose goal is to land a line of dialogue. Great comic timing and uncomfortable situations that helped make "The Office" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" so popular.

So those are my recommendations and we'll see which stick around to make it to my year-end Top 10 TV Shows of the Year that I will publish in December.

It's also the final weekend of the year for baseball's regular season. The Mets are guaranteed of finishing at .500 and all they need is to win one more game to ensure a winning record. Although they fell apart in early September, they should be commended for their steady play these past two weeks. With Pedro, David Wright and Jose Reyes, they have a strong nucleus for next year.

Oh, by the way... my birthday is Wednesday.