Monday, October 24, 2005

On Saturday afternoon I attended a taping for the pilot episode of VH-1's "The World Series of Pop Culture." Picture teams of three in a quiz show where the questions focused exclusively on movies, TV and music. And if that wasn't enough, it was hosted by Pat Kiernan - morning news anchor for New York 1. (Love his "In the Papers" segment)

Anyway I was there to cheer on my Tuesday Night Trivia comrades - Jonathan Bloomfield, Korey Skeete and Robert George. Alas, they lost. But it was a gallant effort. And they certainly outdressed their opponent, styling in tuxedos. Maybe I was biased out of rooting for them, but I think they were asked far harder questions.

I thought that if I were a contestant, I would have done moderately well. For example, I knew the answers to some of the questions that they didn't, such as the insect that carried dinosaur DNA in "Jurassic Park" was the mosquito. But on the other hand they knew answers that I had no clue about, such as the name of the terrorist organization in "Die Hard."

Still, if the show makes the air, it'll be fun to watch and play along.