Tuesday, December 20, 2005

For the first time in 25 years, New York City Transit is on strike. No subways. No buses. For many of us, no way to get around.

I stayed up until midnight, watching New York 1. Although it appeared very likely there would be a strike, the union had yet to vote to authorize one. So for the second time in five days, I went to bed not being definetely sure. Then at 3:02 A.M. I just happened to wake up and I turned on the radio. At that EXACT moment, the union was annoucing their decision to strike. Bastards.

But where there is a will, there is a way. I dressed this morning in many layers of clothing, anticipating a very long walk. Five blocks into my walk, I saw a yellow taxi cab. Mind you, there are NEVER yellow taxi cabs in Brooklyn - particularly not in Bay Ridge. But the strike has dispersed them throughout the five boroughs. I shared the cab with two other people - one who was also going to Park Slope, and another who was then going into Manhattan. Although convenient, I did not look forward to the prospect of paying cab fares twice a day for each day of the strike. So when I got to work, I saw a guy who lives not too far from me. I asked him if it would be possible for him to give me a lift home and he not only agreed but offered to drive me back and forth during the strike's duration. Whew, what a huge relief!

Although I lucked out, I recognize that lots of people are struggling to get around, especially in the frigid cold temperatures. I am very interested in hearing your commuting stories. Please leave a comment and let me know how you managed (or didn't manage) today.