Monday, March 20, 2006

Final Score from Friday Night at the Prospect Park Tennis Center... Boss & his partner 8, me & my partner 6. Which is in keeping with my strategy of "let the boss win." Seriously though, I didn't even have to try to let him win. Boss is an amazing tennis player! My partner and I got out to an early 4-0 lead before Boss rallied, eventually tying it up at 6-6. We then pondered whether to play a tiebreaker or do it the old fashioned way, where you have to win by two. We chose the latter and 8 to 6 was the final. After that, Boss and Bob played each other one-on-one with Boss winning that set by a score of 6-4. Knee surgery and age hasn't affected his abilities at all! After their game, Portia and I hit the ball to each other for a half hour but didn't keep score as each of us didn't want to suffer the potential embarrasment of losing.

Saturday was Tracey's birthday party, which consisted of dinner at the Yaffa Cafe and drinks at an East Village bar whose name I forget. At one point, Ben and I got bored and started mixing the leftovers of people's drinks together. That and various other food items that were strewn on an abandoned table. Then we stirred it to see what sort of nasty combination would result. (Sort of like what I used to do when I was 6 years old at Seniors Restaurant in Sheepshead Bay) Anyway our activities caught the attention of a female bar patron who chose to strike up a conversation with an opening line of "Did you just spit in that drink?" At first I thought she was pissed because we had messed with one of her drinks, but I later learned that this was just her attempt at an opening line. For the record, there was no spitting involved!!! And although we engaged in some polite conversation, that is as far as it went because she was nearly as nasty as the drink combo we had just created.

Finally, congrats to Tamara for her 5:14 performance at the L.A. Marathon and to all of those who participated in Saturday's Brooklyn Half Marathon. My race debut is three weeks away!