Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It is a sad day for baseball fans. Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett has passed away. I cheered for Kirby back in 1987 when he led the Minnesota Twins to their World Series Championship. Granted, my motivation in rooting for the Twins was my hatred of the St. Louis Cardinals. But it was impossible not to like Kirby. And then in 1991 he led the Twins to another World Series Championship. He was forced to retire because glaucoma caused him to lose vision in one of his eyes. His weight then ballooned to over 300 pounds. The last time I remember seeing Kirby was 2001 when he was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame. The man had such an infectious smile. Yesterday, he passed away at the young age of 45, after having suffered a stroke over the weekend.

I will close by singing to the tune of "Davey, Davey Crockett"... "Kirby, Kirby Puckett!"