Thursday, March 02, 2006

TV Observations -

The scene in "24" when President Logan asks Mike to kneel on the ground and pray with him is taken right out of history. Richard Nixon did the same with Henry Kissinger. And the more we see how paranoid Logan is, the more he reminds me of Nixon.

"Lost" has its good weeks and bad weeks but last night's episode was amazing. We finally saw what happened to Claire back when she was taken by The Others in the first season. I've always hated when characters come down with amnesia so it was satisfying to finally fill in those blanks.

And the Academy Awards are on Sunday, to be hosted by one of my favorites - Jon Stewart! Last year I offered my predictions as to who would win and I got 16 out of 24 categories correct. That was good enough to win my own Oscar Pool. I'm not doing an Oscar Pool this year but I am offering my predictions below. Keep in mind that I still haven't seen many of these movies and I'm basing many of these picks on the buzz I've been hearing.

Picture : "Brokeback Mountain"
Director : Ang Lee "Brokeback Mountain"
Actor : Philip Seymour Hoffman "Capote"
Actress : Reese Witherspoon "Walk the Line"
Supporting Actor : George Clooney "Syriana"
Supporting Actress : Michelle Williams "Brokeback Mountain"
Adapted Screenplay : "Brokeback Mountain"
Original Screenplay : "Crash"
Animated Feature : "Wallace & Gromit"
Original Song : Travelin' Thru "Transamerica"
Original Score : "Brokeback Mountain"
Cinematography : "Brokeback Mountain"
Art Direction : "Good Night, and Good Luck"
Film Editing : "Crash"
Costumes : "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Visual Effects : "King Kong"
Sound Mixing : "Walk the Line"
Sound Editing : "King Kong"
Makeup : "The Chronicles of Narnia"
Foreign Language Film : "Tsotsi"
Documentary Feature : "March of the Penguins"
Documentary Short : "God Sleeps in Rwanda"
Live Action Short : "Our Time is Up"
Animated Short : "9"