Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Happy Passover!

I am currently blogging from my parent's house where the first night's Seder is due to begin shortly. And then tomorrow night, my aunt in New Jersey is doing the second night's Seder. So much eating to do!

And speaking of eating, I must blog about a very unique restaurant that my family went to last Saturday night to celebrate my dad's birthday. It is called Marchi's. Located on East 31 Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue, it has been in existance for 80 years. It is in the lower level of a brownstone and there is no sign outside indicating that it's a restaurant. Once you are seated there is no menu. Instead, there is one huge dinner consisting of five courses that will be served to you. This set meal has not changed over 80 years.

First course : Platters of antipasto... celery, melon, radishes, Genoa salami, and a Lorenzo salad consisting of tuna, olives, capers, chopped celery, parsley and red cabbage

Second course : Lasagne with a special sauce concocted by the Marchi family

Third course : Deep fried fish with string beans and cold beets (The beets is the only thing I didn't eat)

Fourth course : Roast chicken, slices of roast veal, fresh mushrooms and tossed salad (Actually, I didn't eat the mushrooms either)

Fifth course : Dessert - a bowl of fruit, lemon fritter and "Crostoli", crisp deep fried twists with powdered sugar

Plus coffee or tea. Bread is included but they do not serve butter because that would detract from your appetite. And then there is the option of purchasing wine.

Mmm. So that is what I ate on Saturday night and subsequently burned off during the race on Sunday.