Saturday, May 20, 2006

I did it.

I ran a 10K. 6.2 miles. A complete loop of Central Park.

How? I don't know. But I did. Final time : 1 hour, 6 minutes, 27 seconds. A 10 minute, 43 second per mile pace.

Since the park's loop is slightly less than 6.2 miles, the course was configured so you begin at the start line, run about .2 of a mile, and then cross what is the finish line before embarking on the rest of the course. Upon arriving at the finish line, right after the race began, I said, "Hey, we're at the finish already!" A woman next to me said, "That was easy."

At the second mile, a Road Runners volunteer was on a megaphone and joked to us back-of-the-packers, "Let's go! There's $10,000 in prize money!" (Only the top three finishers get prize money) I yelled out, "Come on everyone, we still have a chance!" Everyone laughed and started joking about how all we needed to do was pull off two-minute miles.

I also saw Uptown Girl, cheering the runners with her pom poms, near the 4-mile marker, and NYFlyGirl at the conclusion of the race.

All in all, a satisfactory morning!

And now I rest my weary self...